One of the first lessons I learnt as a neurosurgery resident was to pay ‘attention to detail’. Not only did this trait prove useful as a neurosurgeon, I see examples all around which prove the value of these words. Perhaps their origins can be traced to this story about Birbal.
Many people had tried to discredit Birbal in the eyes of Emperor Akbar. One such incident is about a visitor to Akbar’s court who asked Birbal if he would like to answer a hundred easy questions or one difficult one. Birbal, bored with such frequent challenges, opted to answer one difficult question.
‘Which came first: the chicken or the egg?’ inquired the scholar, who was in the pay of Birbal’s enemies.
‘The chicken,’ replied Birbal promptly.
‘And how was the chicken born, if there was no egg before?’ retorted the scholar, gleefully.
‘I have answered one question, as agreed. Now no more.’
Birbal smiled at his adversary and walked away.
I can almost hear my neurosurgery professor smirk - ‘Obviously that fellow asking the questions has to pay attention to detail.’
~ A David Singh
David Singh but its a known fact that the egg came first as reptiles walked this planet before birds flew. I knew there was a reason I took bio in 11 and 12th if only to disprove Birbal
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't believe that the first chicken was born from a reptilian egg. .. so much for the bio classes, buddy!
ReplyDelete