Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pig's Head



What was the main occupation of Romans like Julius Caesar… you guessed it – WAR!

Ancient Roman army formations are legendary and still enthrall me beyond belief. The well known ones are the Pig’s head and testudo (the tortoise). This is what a Pig’s head looks like:

Pig's Head Formation




This wedge shaped formation bludgeoned through enemy lines quickly to disperse the opponents to the sides. Though not infallible, the pig’s head served to create inlets into the alien army, allowing the ranks behind to attack a shaken enemy.

I can almost see the likes of Liam Neeson or Dwayne Johnson leading the charge as Centurions at the apex of the pig’s head.


A David Singh

2 comments:

  1. All I know of Roman army formations is gleaned from readng the entire series of Asterix and Obelix. Afraid so.

    I just read the story of Dorm 9. How creepy was that? And WHAT was it? I had a couple of hair raising incidents myself while at a boarding school for a few months. Are they always haunted, you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha....yes, indeed! Asterix and Obelix might have taught a thing or two about what NOT to do to the Romans!

    I wondered what that 'thing' was too, in Dorm 9. Amitabh took me to visit that place some years ago, and I must say it had a creepy feel to it, even in broad daylight. Many of these boarding schools are from colonial times, and the buildings are old, reflecting a bygone era. I wonder if that atmosphere is responsible! It's interesting to know that you too had hair raising incidents at a boarding school!

    ReplyDelete