Today’s historical story is the continuation of last week’s, titled ‘CV of Julius Caesar: Part 1’. If you haven’t read it, please click here.
With the scribe gone in search of the rogue donkey, Julius paced about the bank of the Rubicon. He was disgusted with the Senators. Jealous old men. Some of them can not even climb on to a horse, let alone lead legions into battle. And now the very same men who have neither tasted blood nor the glory of victory expect me to disband my legion. Oh, what would Jupiter have me do?
Much to his surprise his thoughts went to the donkey and its antics. It had not surrendered to the scribe, or to him. Instead it had rebelled against all attempts at oppression, eventually running away. Even a donkey values its freedom over slavery. And yet—
A bright spark lit up within Caesar—and yet, I allow myself to be enslaved by the Senate. A donkey braver than me? This can not be— Legio XIII will not be disbanded. I will not surrender to the Senate.
Time sped for Caesar as his decision sunk in, and he felt good within. He could not help smiling. Now I am learning life lessons from none other than a donkey?
Braying sounds were heard in the distance, drawing close. Finally, the scribe and the donkey appeared from beyond a grove of trees, each tugging furiously at the rein which connected the man and beast. It was difficult for Caesar to be certain who was winning the tussle. He burst out laughing. The scribe looked relieved to see Caesar in a good mood.
“I found the donkey in a nearby village, in a barn, fighting with sheep and horses for fodder,” he said.
“Tie it,” said Caesar. “But, be gentle.”
The scribe unwound several lengths of ropes he had brought back with him. First he tied the donkey’s neck to a tree trunk, and then one of the hind limbs to another. The donkey struggled, but could not break free from the arrangement of its tethering. Satisfied, the scribe pulled a fresh tablet out of the bag, which had surprisingly held firm on the donkey’s back.
“We must make haste,” said Caesar. I still have to decide whether to apply for the position of Vizier to the Pharaoh, or —and the thought still scared him— attack Rome and defeat my enemies. Before the day is done, Jupiter has to show me the path. “I will continue dictating from where I left off,” he said to the scribe.
I chose to forgo holding my Triumph⚔⚔ and instead campaigned for Consulship.
- 59 BC. Consul of Rome:
Even though I had taken a risk by sacrificing my Triumph, Jupiter rewarded me and I was elected as one of the two Consuls. So important is this office that the year is designated the names of its Consuls. Alas, my co-Consul, Bibulus obstructed my efforts of reforming the government and redistributing land to the poor. After an unfortunate incident in which Bibulus was assaulted in the Forum, he confined himself to his house for the rest of the year. Some even jest that this year was ‘the Consulship of Julius and Caesar’. I then sought alliance with Pompey, the great general, and Crassus, the wealthiest man in Rome. Together, the three of us had enough coin and clout to administer Rome, with minimal opposition from my enemies. I have heard many whisper of Pompey, Crassus and I as ‘The First Triumvirate’. With Pompey and Crassus’ support, I introduced laws, both civil and criminal, to develop and strengthen Rome.
- 58 BC - till now. Governor of Gaul (France, Belgium & Switzerland):
As Governor, I expanded the limits of my province to include the whole of Gaul, and Britain. Even those tribes who were initially resistant to Roman presence have now reconciled to the fact that we are their masters. The most recent conquest was over Vercingetorix, chieftain of the Arverni clan, and his allies who had dared to challenge the might of Rome. I demolished them in Alesia and covered myself with glory. However, my contributions, instead of winning me respect, have earned me jealousy and hatred from those in the Senate, including my former ally, Pompey. As I write this document, I have been ordered by the Senate to disband my legion and return to Rome.
A thump was heard, startling both the men. Tired of fighting with its bonds, the donkey had slumped to the ground. It turned on its side, gently rubbing its snout on the gravelly ground, kicking all four limbs in the air as far as the rope allowed. Tablets and scrolls, from within the bag still tied to the donkey, flew unceremoniously in all directions. It reminded Caesar of the effect a catapulted missile has during battle on striking unsuspecting men.
The scribe jumped to collect his valuable writings.
“Do not disturb the donkey. It will tire out,” said Caesar.
Soon the kicking slowed, as did the haphazard flight of tablets and scrolls. The beast had calmed down. Loud snores were now heard.
“This donkey, does it have a name?”
“Jupiter…. Jupiter,” mumbled the scribe.
A stunned silence followed. “You have named him after our god?”
“It started off as a jest, Governor. But the name— it stuck,” said the scribe, his eyes not meeting Caesar’s.
“And a worthy name, it is,” said Caesar.
Education
- As a child I was trained in Greek and Latin rhetoric by M. Antonius Gnipho. Gnipho himself was trained in your prestigious city of Alexandria.
- In 75 BC, I sailed towards Rhodes to further my education by studying rhetoric under Appolonius. But before I could reach my destination, my ship was attacked by pirates and I was held captive. Thereafter, even though I tried to initiate my education, I was called to Asia to join the legion stationed there.
Awards
⚔80 BC - Civic crown for bravery and saving lives of my men during the Siege of Mytilene, Greece.
⚔⚔60 BC - I was offered a Triumph for victories in Hispania, but later denied as I chose to contest for Consul. In spirit, this Triumph belongs to me.
My books
During the last eight years in Gaul I have written seven books on the many, many conquests over the various Gallic & Belgic tribes, that I undertook in the name of Rome. These books have been compiled as Commentarii de Bello Gallico. No Roman leader can boast of maintaining a detailed account of his campaigns in his own hand. This commentary will serve to glorify me in front of the Roman people, and it is my hope, to introduce me as a patriot to you.
“Remember to find all seven books and put them together as one. And, I want it kept in my tent at all times,” said Caesar. “Keeping those scrolls in the care of Jupiter can be disastrous for my future.”
Meanwhile the rascal Jupiter continued snoring, the sounds interspersed with grunts and smacks.
My vision for Egypt and personal statement
Were you to appoint me as Vizier of Egypt, I will bring the same commitment and loyalty to my work as I have shown when in service of Rome and its people.
On the political front, I can help you transition Egypt from a monarchy to a republic, should you so desire. This will not diminish your power or authority, rather it would distribute the many responsibilities that you shoulder single handedly onto many heads. And they will all report directly to you, with me acting as the facilitator. You may consider this suggestion of mine impudent, but let me assure you that a republican machinery functions very smoothly, and due to my experience as Consul of Rome, I am adept at orchestrating controlled chaos amongst those wielding power. And now these skills of mine can be completely at your service.
Given my tremendous military accomplishments, I am competent to head the Pharaonic army. You might think it unwise concentrating apex powers of both government and military upon me. But do not fear, or misjudge my ambition. This arrangement will prevent a conflict between head of government and the head of the military, as would likely happen if the two heads rest upon two separate bodies. Moreover, with me at the helm of the Pharaonic army that would be a significant deterrent for Rome from attempting to bring Egypt under its dominion. In matters of war, Alexander, King of Macedon, is my role model. He had conquered half the world. And I will conquer it too, and beyond, were I given that opportunity by you.
I believe in the service of the people, and my tenures in Rome and Hispania are proof of my devotion. Rather than cover myself with gold and coin, I have lavished proceeds of the state upon the people I served earlier and will continue to do the same in Egypt.
May I gently remind you that Ptolemy XI, the Pharaoh who ruled before your father, had given the reins of Egypt to Rome. Yet we have allowed you, and your father before you, to rule Egypt without any interference. Ten years ago, when I was Consul, there was a big uproar in the Senate that Egypt should be formally made a Roman province. It was chiefly due to my skilful intervention (in lieu of your generous gifts sent by your father) that the decision was made to allow him, and now you, to occupy the throne Egypt. This should be of paramount consideration to you while considering my application for the post of Vizier of Egypt.
The document dictated, the two men made preparations to return to camp. The scribe kicked Jupiter rudely disturbing its melodious snoring. The donkey got up in a rage, and stood up balancing itself on its hind legs. It kicked the scribe, knocking the tablet containing the last of Caesar’s curriculum vitae out of his grasp. The tablet landed squarely where the fore limbs of the donkey landed. Enraged he stomped on the tablet, kneading the wax. Again and again Jupiter vented its frustration on the tablet destroying the last vestiges of the scribe’s writing from it.
Caesar and the scribe were aghast, as the last of the document was demolished and scrubbed into the dirt.
Caesar sighed. Dictate again? But wait—is there a lesson even in this madness? A lesson that my god, Jupiter, is teaching me through his minion and namesake, the donkey? With my application in tatters, is that a divine indication that serving the Pharaoh is the wrong path?
He bent to the ground and examined the ruined tablet closely. Thanks to the donkey’s tantrums, all his options were eliminated. Only one remained: to attack Rome and defeat his enemies. Caesar gulped. He had no choice but to do as instructed by Jupiter himself.
“Free Jupiter. Cut his bonds,” he said to the bewildered scribe. “It has earned its freedom.”
The scribe did as ordered. Jupiter immediately took to its heels, running wildly in the direction of the village where more food awaited it.
“Now run back to the camp. Tell the men to get ready to march,” he said.
“Where are we going, Governor?” said the scribe.
“To Rome.”
According to history, there is no documentation why Caesar chose to attack his enemies rather than submit to the wishes of the Senate. In this story, I have offered my own humble interpretation of events which led Caesar to make this monumental decision. Some say it was on January 10, 49 BC that Caesar crossed the river Rubicon (a small stream, actually), entered Italy at the head of Legio XIII Gemina, eliminated his enemies in a bloody civil war, and finally became the Dictator of Rome. That historic moment, when Caesar crossed the Rubicon and set upon an irrevocable path, is credited with the origin of the idiom ‘cross the Rubicon’.
Dear friends, thank you very much for joining me this weekend. As life throws many a challenges upon us, we rise up to meet some, while ignoring others. But there comes that one special challenge that can not be ignored, as any inactivity on our part would result in disastrous consequences. So we rise to the challenge, and cross our own version of the Rubicon, uncertain and even afraid of what lies ahead, but still plough on, like Caesar did. Once our Rubicon is crossed, and the consequent path set, life as we know it would change forever. There is no turning back and no second chances.
Have you crossed your Rubicon yet?
Q: How can I read this ebook?
July 31, 2015: An updated version of this story (+9 more stories) is now available in the FREE ebook It Happened In Ancient Rome. To make your experience more exciting, all stories in this ebook are linked to an interactive, online map of Ancient Rome. Click here to explore this Ancient Map.
Q: How can I read this ebook?
~ A. David Singh
No comments:
Post a Comment